Sunday, February 10, 2008

[The Chosun Ilbo, January 23 2008] No More Press Gags, Lee Promises

President-elect Lee Myung-bak on Tuesday vowed not to gag the press during his five-year tenure even if he should be afraid of media criticism. He promised to straighten out policies introduced under the current government that violate the freedom of press.

Lee made the pledge at a launch ceremony for Chosun Ilbo honorary chairman Bang Woo-young’s memoirs. “I’ve been thinking a lot about what I would write when I am 80 years old. I will have to write that I have feared the media.”

“I remember when honorary chairman Bang collected 1 million signatures for the return of South Koreans abducted by North Korea. I was deeply moved at the time,” Lee said, “Honorary chairman Bang overcame and survived difficult times while consolidating his status as a journalist.”

Lee pledged to devote himself to the task of developing the nation.

No comments: